Top 5 Series: Intro

Leave a Comment



As promised i'll be doing my Top 5 series but I wanted this post to be a little disclaimer before I hopped into it. My top 5's will consist of anything from celebs, anything beauty, places to eat or shop-yall know I'm random. My first one will be high end makeup. Years ago when I came into the game, I started off with drugstore and graduated from there. My foundations and concealers came from makeup counters because I didn't know how to blindly match myself. Sephora and Mac were my besties esp Mac and I built a great relationship with them so I didn't have to clamor n wait in line for limited edition items that sold out asap (oh hi rihanna collection). While I joined makeup forums to keep up with "what's next" I didn't have any interest in trying high end becuz the price alone scared me. Like dmnnnn who in they right mind would pay $20+ for a lipstick (lippie) or $50+ on foundation. That's absurd. As I became more comfortable in the makeup world I still stayed within my lane of the Mac price range n a splurge for me was NARS.




One day I'm leaving out of nordies minding my business when this lady pulled me to try Dior. Why I didn't keep goin-I don't know but she paired a lippie n lip glow (balm) on me n it was like putting on the hat to Frosty the snowman. HAPPY BIRTHDAY-I came to life. I didn't take the lippie but the lip glow I knew I couldn't leave it behind n didn't care it was a whopping $34. I consistently use it n rebuy every 3-4 months so it's well justified now. 

Confession: Jumping into the high life I felt bad becuz those who aren't makeup junkies don't quite understand and u are then judged with the "u spent how much...on what" and the "u crazy" along with "such n such is cheaper" so I remained underground with my fellow makeup sisters on forums who embraced my newfound love n didn't judge.



As I became more open minded with trying high end I made sure I researched it first. I looked up swatches and reviews which I rely on if it's not at the counters. Makeup is trial n error. Yes, there are peasantry cheaper options n brands but I like what I like n don't apologize for it. It's not for everybody. The same way guys spend hundreds on Jordan's is the same way I might spend at Sephora. My makeup stash is my therapy n that I enjoy. That's that. I am fully out the closet now n not ashamed! I can easily walk out the house with a $300 face (which is why MUA's shouldn't short themselves n clients should appreciate the charge). Now...just becuz it's of high end doesn't mean it's better than. I have had some high end brands that were trash. There are also high end brands that don't necessarily cater to women of color (woc) shades. I am now to the point where I am picky with my brands becuz I know what works for ME. I also shop for it when my pocket allows so I'm smarter to shop during sale times to soften the blow. 




Treat cho' self-within reason. I have a habit of trying things in two's which is dangerous at these dmn prices. If u are interested in making the plunge, search youtube, beauty blogs n reviews. My reviews will not be politically correct. I can tell u right now, I'm not doing no list of ingredients, how many ounces in a product, what sweat shop the labels were made in or none of that. Imma keep it simple: price n if it's worth grabbing or not. I will say there aren't a lot of swatches for woc's pass my shade. I scoured the internet all night one time lookin for Tom Ford swatches n when I did find ONE her lighting wasn't great :( If u got a gift card laying around-go for it. Sephora has fall n spring sales with 15-20% off n that's when I mainly stock up-but again no pressure. I can't even remember the last time I've brought a Mac lippie but my last one was Guerlain-OMG!!! Now THAT is a brand that's worth it on or off a sale. 

Ok Top 5 High End Lippies...comin up...

Smooches

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig